ARTICLE I: Name
The name of the organization shall be the New England Transfer Association, Inc.; hereinafter referred to as NETA.
ARTICLE II: Purpose
The purpose of NETA shall be to improve the transfer process for students and to provide professional development opportunities for its members.
ARTICLE III: Membership
- Section 1: Regular membership in NETA is open to all individuals employed in institutions of higher education accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and professionally involved in the purpose of NETA.
- Section 2: Associate membership is open to all other individuals involved in, or interested in, issues related to the purpose of NETA.
- Section 3: All regular members in attendance at the Annual Meeting are entitled to vote on questions relating to the By-Laws and other business as deemed appropriate by the Governing Board.
- Section 4: An annual membership fee will be assessed, as determined by the Governing Board, for regular and associate members.
- Section 5: Yearly membership will be from July 1 to June 30.
ARTICLE IV: Officers
- Section 1: Officers of NETA shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer who shall be members of the Governing Board. All Officers shall be regular NETA members. Officers may be removed for cause by a two-thirds vote of the governing board. In the case of vacancy, resignation or removal of an officer, the Governing Board shall appoint an interim officer to fulfill the remainder of the term. In the event that no Governing Board member chooses to serve, officers may be nominated from past Governing Board members who completed at least two years of service on the Governing Board.
- Section 2: Duties
- A. The President shall be the chief executive officer of NETA and shall preside over Governing Board meetings, the Annual Meeting and conference, and other duties as required.
- B. The Vice President shall serve as the Conference Chair, support and assist the President, and serve as President in the absence of the President.
- C. The Secretary shall record all minutes at regular meetings of the Governing Board, send to Board members notification of all Board meetings, and support and assist the Treasurer.
- D. The Treasurer shall maintain all financial records and fulfill all financial responsibilities, including information for tax-exempt status.
- Section 3: Terms of Office
- A. The President, Vice President and Secretary shall be limited to one two-year term in their respective office.
- B. The Treasurer shall be limited to two consecutive two-year terms office.
- C. Elected officers shall take office at the Governing Board meeting immediately following the Annual
ARTICLE V: Governing Board
- Section 1: The Governing Board shall consist of the four elected officers specified in Article IV and no less than nine, and no more than thirteen regular members of NETA.
- Section 2: The term of office for Governing Board members shall be two years and may not exceed two consecutive terms, excluding tenure as an officer.
- Section 3: It shall be the responsibility of the Governing Board members to participate in the activities of NETA and to serve on at least one Standing Committee of NETA.
- Section 4: The Immediate Past President will serve on the board for one year, will chair the ad hoc Past President’s Council, and execute other duties as outlined in the position description or as requested by the President. The Immediate Past President will not serve on the board in the second year, but will continue all other duties.
ARTICLE VI: Committees
- Section 1: There shall be Standing Committees for By-laws, Elections, Membership, and Conference Planning and such other committees that the Board shall establish.
- Section 2: The chair of each Standing Committee shall be a member of the Governing Board. The Elections Committee shall be chaired by the President. Committee members may be chosen from regular and associate members of NETA except for the Elections Committee, which shall have Governing Board members only. Appointment to committees shall be subject to approval by the Governing Board. One officer of NETA shall be an ex-officio member of each Standing Committee
- Section 3: The Executive Committee shall consist of the four officers of NETA and shall be chaired by the President. The Executive Committee shall conduct the routine business of NETA, subject to the approval of the Governing Board
- Section 4: The Past Presidents Committee shall consist of the current President of NETA and all past presidents of NETA and shall be chaired by the Immediate Past President. The Past Presidents Committee shall recommend policy and action regarding long-range planning to the Governing Board.
ARTICLE VII: Elections
- Section 1: Elections shall be conducted by the Elections Committee, which shall consist of the President and three elected Governing Board members, who do not intend to seek elective office.
- Section 2: It shall be the responsibility of the Elections Committee to promote and advertise all vacancies, to receive nominations for the Governing Board and for officers of NETA, and to certify all information received.
- A. Officers shall be nominated from the Governing Board in compliance with Article IV, Section 1 of these By-laws.
- B. Candidates for the Governing Board must be nominated via endorsement by three regular or associate members and submit a complete application and biographical data as outlined by the Elections Committee. Endorsement from the applicant’s current supervisor can serve in place of a NETA member endorsement.
- C. Individuals serving on the elections committee will abstain from an endorsement of any nominee as referenced in section 2(B).
- Section 3: The procedure for elections shall be outlined by the Elections Committee four months prior to the Annual Meeting, and shall be presented to the Board for approval.
- Section 4: Nominations must be received by the Elections Committee no later than one month prior to the election.
- Section 5: Election of officers shall take place at a Governing Board meeting no later than one month prior to the Annual Meeting.
- Section 6: Election of Governing Board members shall take place at the Annual Meeting.
ARTICLE VIII: Meetings
- Section 1: The Annual Meeting of NETA shall take place at the annual conference conducted by NETA and shall be open to all regular and associate members of NETA.
- Section 2: The Governing Board of NETA shall meet at least six times during the membership year.
- Section 3: The Standing Committees shall meet as necessary throughout the membership year.
ARTICLE IX: Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall guide NETA in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these By-laws and any special rules of order that NETA may adopt.
ARTICLE X: Amendment of By-laws
These By-laws may be amended at the Annual Meeting of NETA by a two-thirds vote of all regular and associate members present, provided that the amendment has been submitted to all regular and associate members in writing at least one month prior to the Annual Meeting.